Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Update on Miriam

Miriam is creative. She loves to craft. Some of her favorite things to create are lists of things to do, snowflakes, small pieces of paper to glue to other pieces of paper, and pictures for everyone. If you give her paper and scissors she will be busy for hours creating all kinds of art. She also loves to paint with watercolors.

Miriam is a collector. She hates to throw anything away. She has piles of pictures she has made and a lot of little places where she keeps her small special treasures. It will probably be even more important to her with another little brother around. She is going to guard her special stuff even more. When it is time to clean up she has to decide what is to keep and what is trash... She wants to keep everything and I have to talk her into only keeping what is special.

Miriam's favorite way to play is through role play. She loves to recreate any part of our lives in her own way. Some of her favorites are cooking, primary, library, and cashier. After watching Food Network she will go into her kitchen and pretend she is on a cooking show. As soon as we get home from church she wants to give us a primary lesson. Miriam loves when we go through the self-checkout line at a store. When we get home from the store she wants to pretend to re-buy everything with her cash register.

Miriam loves to learn. When we go to the library she heads straight for the non-fiction section to pick up "learning books". She especially loves sharks (water animals), seasons, weather, and flowers. Miriam has a growing interest in telling time. She wants to learn to tell time on a non-digital clock. She almost knows what all the main numbers mean (1 means 5 minutes, 2 means 10 minutes, etc). Miriam is also excited to learn how to read. I started to notice her interest in spelling words and decided to sit down and see if she could read some words to me. Now she loves reading in the Book of Mormon each night. She is excited to start school in the fall.

At five years old Miriam is 45 inches tall and weighs 45 pounds.



 



Last but not least, here are some funny things Miriam has said over the past few months:

"Mom watch, my hands look like an artichoke"

Miriam just told Simon: be careful or you will crack your chin open and see all your bones

"Mom I can see really well in the dark. I am basically an owl. Isn't that crazy that we have an owl in our family?"

I could reach it if only I had long octopus arms

Mom, it smells like Balsamic in here

Mom, you smell like acorns.

After I gave Miriam a kiss goodnight she says "that's the spirit".

Mom: what's for dinner tonight?
Miriam: I know! Applesauce with mustard and soy sauce!

"Mom, Simon is being serious"

"I know that for a fact"

"My hot chocolate is blazing hot"

"Mom if you won't do what I say I am going to throw everything that is not breakable at you"

Holding her play phone: "why won't this boy stop sending me messages"


No comments:

Post a Comment